Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday musings

Jason and I went to church together in what seems to be a really long time. Most of the holiday times we were gone for the weekend and I was in Seattle last weekend. So we finally were able to go together. Yay! I was curious as to what the next segment would be. Since we started going to North Coast Church we had been dissecting the book of Acts. All of Pauls many missionary journeys were applicable to our times in having faith when the situation you're in doesn't really scream to have faith in. It was a long drawn out process since we had started going to NCC in September.

So, we go into church today and there's a big cartoonish sign that says "FEARLESS" with buildings and stuff in front of it. It almost like the "kablooey!" banners from the old Batman & Robin days. I was intrigues. The passage we were to go through was Joshua 1:1-9. I didn't realize that 9 little verses could be so amazing and impacting.

I mean, the first verse just says that Joshua was now in charge of leading God's people to the promised land. No biggie. He only had Moses to follow! Um, hello God, are you sure you have the right God? Pastor Chris makes a point that in those few verses God basically repeats himself, "have faith", "do not be discouraged", "do not tremble". Why would he make it a point to say these things so much? Um, cuz Joshua was probably making messes in his pants!! No pressure, you only have to follow the example that Moses started. Easy peasy. Haha. Uh, no.
Pastor Chris made a few excellent points. We worry. We worry about things material. We assume we have security in heaven because we said the prayer, but most of us only ask for help or thank him when things go our way or we're totally desperate.

"I will never leave you nor foresake you". We think we're at the end of our rope. We're really not. In these book Joshua is called to go to Jericho and defeat the city. When he is on his way, toting 40,000 behind him, he comes across a man with a sword raises. Joshua sees the irony in this as there is 1 man vs 40,000 and decides to go talk to him. He asks "Are you for us or against us". He said "neither". He then tells Joshua the land is holy and he needs to take off his shoes. Pastor Chris interpreted this as Jesus (who would not come for a long time ahead) tell him he was neither for him or against him.

At first we think, but that is God's chosen people, why wouldn't he be "for" us. Then comes the great example. Take any of our basketball skills. I'm lucky if I make 1 of 10 shots. Kobe and Jordan come on the court and I ask if I can be a part of their team. I'm lucky to be able to just PASS to Jordan let alone be on his team. Pastor likens us to God in this respect. I would be hell-a lucky to be on the team at Kobe and Jordan, he sure as heck isn't going to chose to be on my team, i'm subpar. Well, i'm taking the example a bit far because God would like us to all be on his team, our skills just aren't up to par :). Anyway, so because of this, this sworded, possible Jesus, says that he is on "neither" team.

Another take home point with all of this is how we rely on God. In bad times mainly. "God, the economy is so bad, please help", "What job should I get?", "I pray for my health now that I'm sick". Chris says, funny (as if he is God speaking)...I hear you praying to me about your work, but you never including me in your work before, you never included me in your health or in your finances. So why now? Because you're desparate? How about seek me in everything? It hit me that this is the lifestyle that I should be called to. A higher purpose. Pray for my work, pray for my husband, pray for my friends. Keep him in my life always, not when it's convienent.
I'm sure I'm not saying it correctly. If you're interested in more, you can always listen to the message online. It's totally worth your time!!

3 comments:

  1. Carrie- For the first time in a while I was thinking that this sermon was awesome! He got it so right in a world where everyone assumes "God is on my side". I liked when he said, "Why would He be on your side.. look at you!" God really showed me something awesome this week. Look at Joshua 1:8.. It basically says to follow God's laws.. "THEN you will be prosperous and successful". Wow. I know we should follow His laws, but He showed me that until we meditate on His word daily and really live the life He has called us to, we are missing out on His complete joy, peace, strength, courage, blessings, love, etc. We can call on Christ for our salvation, but its not until we actually live within the boundaries of His law that we will experience the FULLNESS of his blessings and only then will our joy be made complete! In John 15:10, Jesus says, "IF you follow my commands, you will remain in my love..." I want to remain in His love always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this Carrie! I needed to be reminded today not to be fearful. "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Now its like you said-- we just need to make sure WE'RE for God, all the time. I started doing this experiment where I try to bring Christ and His kingdom to mind throughout my day, as often as possible. Its amazing what that does. It just immediately refocuses my priorities and I find myself in a place where God feels near and is evident in every detail (no exaggeration). He really does want to be our "all in all" it turns out. And its like I never lived before. I'm still really bad at remembering to remember Him, but the promise always stands: "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and ALL these things will be added to you as well." Totally amazing. Let's pray for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. This is definitely something I need to be reminded of and work on!

    ReplyDelete